THE KANSAS CITY REGION: Supply Chain Centered
The Kansas City region has a rich history as a center for commerce. Its heartland, river-based location made it a natural crossroads for transcontinental rail, interstate, and waterway. Through its history, Greater Kansas City has established itself as the leading center for trade and distribution within the central United States. Kansas City is experiencing one of the largest industrial booms in its history and is a center of choice for warehousing, manufacturing and distribution. Business has prospered due in large part to the region’s abundant, multi-modal transportation network.
Kansas City has several key components that make it an excellent hub for all transportation and logistics operations.
Kansas City is the most centrally located major U.S. market. It is the focal point of movement and distribution of goods.
- Located at the intersection of four of the nation’s major interstate highways (I-35, I-70, I-29, I-49).
- KC is the largest rail center in the U.S. by tonnage.
- Located at the heart of a rail corridor spanning coast to coast across the U.S. and extending from Canada to Mexico (NAFTA Railway).
- The Kansas City International Airport moves more air cargo each year than any air center in a six-state region.
- Located on the largest navigable inland waterway (Missouri/Mississippi River system).
- Kansas City has more Foreign Trade Zone space than any other U.S. city.
Kansas City mirrors the U.S. regarding employment in distribution and warehousing, therefore proving to be a stable industry over a long period of time.
- 6.7% of the workforce is employed in distribution and warehouse jobs compared to 6.8% nationally.
4 Intermodal Logistics Parks
SmartPort has spearheaded a workforce development initiative, bringing those involved in the transportation and logistics industry in KC together with area educational institutions to identify the training needs for the industry
CenterPoint-Kansas City Southern Intermodal Center
- 370-acre intermodal facility operated by KC Southern Railroad, 970-acre industrial park developed by CenterPoint Properties.
KCI Intermodal BusinessCentre
- 690-acre master planned development with air side access to KCI airport.
Logistics Park KC
- 1,500-acre master-planned distribution and warehouse development served by BNSF Railway.
- Flexible lot sites from 11 to 85+ acres located next to one of Triple Crown Services’ key intermodal facilities, also served by Norfolk Southern.
For more information regarding logistics in the Kansas City region, visit KC SmartPort's website.
For more information contact: